CBD Face Cream UK Guide
Skincare has evolved beyond the basic cleanse-tone-moisturise routine. One of the most intriguing newcomers to the beauty domain is CBD face creams. These cannabis-infused products promise hydration and a range of potential benefits attributed to CBD’s possible unique properties.¹
In this comprehensive guide, we delve into the world of CBD face creams, exploring their benefits, usage, and more within the context of the UK market.
Introduction to CBD Face Creams
CBD (short for cannabidiol) is a natural compound that comes from the cannabis plant. CBD face creams blend the potential benefits of CBD with a skincare staple—face cream. As a result, these creams are formulated to address different skin concerns while harnessing the possible therapeutic effects of CBD.
In addition, the skin possesses a complex network of cannabinoid receptors, known as the endocannabinoid system. CBD interacts with these receptors, potentially influencing processes like inflammation, oil production, and cell turnover. As such, this interaction creates the foundation of CBD’s proposed skincare benefits.
In the United Kingdom, CBD face creams fall under the category of CBD cosmetics. As long as they contain less than 0.2% THC (tetrahydrocannabinol)—the psychoactive compound in cannabis—the British authorities consider them to be legal. Nevertheless, regulations and guidelines are subject to change, so it’s essential to stay educated.
The Benefits of CBD Face Creams
There are many possible benefits to using CBD face creams. For instance, CBD’s purported anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are at the core of its skincare appeal. These qualities could make CBD face creams a potential partner against redness, irritation, and oxidative stress, thus contributing to a brighter, more radiant complexion.
CBD face creams often include hydrating ingredients, making them suitable for various skin types. From dry to oily skin, CBD-infused creams aim to balance moisture levels and nourish the skin barrier, creating healthier overall skin.
A study completed by the University of Modena suggests that, beyond hydration, CBD face creams are praised for their potential benefits in addressing skin conditions—such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis.² Additionally, some enthusiasts claim that CBD’s antioxidant properties might help in fighting signs of ageing.
How CBD Face Creams Work
CBD’s interaction with the skin’s endocannabinoid system is thought to play a role in regulating skin processes, including inflammation and oil production. This interaction could contribute to the observed benefits of CBD face creams.
CBD face creams may feature different types of CBD extracts, including full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate. Each extract type contains varying levels of cannabinoids, terpenes, and compounds, potentially influencing the product’s effects.
Choosing the Right CBD Face Cream
When choosing a CBD face cream, you must consider your skin type, specific concerns, and the desired effects. For instance, some creams might be prepared for specific issues—such as acne-prone skin or anti-ageing.
You should check the product’s CBD potency to guarantee it aligns with your needs. Also, observe the ingredient list for any potential allergens or irritants.
Understanding how a CBD face cream is intended to be used—whether as a daily moisturiser, spot treatment, or overnight mask—is required. You should also consider whether the product is tailored to your skin type.
How to Use CBD Face Creams
Apply CBD face creams following your usual skincare routine. Gently massage the cream into your skin using upward motions, allowing it to absorb fully to receive the full benefits from the CBD.
The frequency of use depends on the product’s formulation and your skin’s response. However, you can integrate most CBD face creams into both morning and evening skincare routines.
CBD face creams can complement other skincare products in your routine. You should consider their compatibility and potential synergistic effects when combining them with serums, oils, and sunscreens.
CBD Face Creams vs. Other Skincare Products
CBD face creams stand out from conventional skincare products because of their potential to interact with the skin’s endocannabinoid system. While traditional products focus on hydration and nourishment, CBD face creams offer potential benefits attributed to CBD.
There are many possible advantages to using CBD face creams over other options. The main possible benefit is the holistic approach offered by addressing both external factors and potential internal imbalances. The possible anti-inflammatory makes them particularly appealing to those with sensitive or aggravated skin.
That said—despite the potential benefits—many people treat CBD face creams with a large amount of scepticism. Many people, due to the stigma surrounding cannabis, are worried that CBD face creams could make them ‘high.’ However, it’s essential to understand that CBD is non-pyschoactive and does not produce the ‘high’ associated with THC.
Potential Side Effects and Precautions
Although CBD is generally considered safe, some users may encounter side effects like mild irritation, redness, or dryness. However, these effects are generally temporary and can often be minimised by changing the dosage. Some of the most common CBD side effects include tiredness and a change in appetite.³
In addition, it’s entirely possible to be allergic or sensitive to certain ingredients in CBD face creams. That’s why you should complete a patch test before applying the cream to your face, ensuring you avoid any adverse reactions. You can perform a patch test by applying a small amount of CBD face cream to a tiny area of your skin and checking for any reactions.
If you have problems or pre-existing skin conditions, hiring a dermatologist before using CBD face creams is advisable; they will gauge whether CBD face creams are a wise option.
Understanding CBD Product Labels
One of the most important things to understand is the CBD product labels. Typically, CBD product labels display the concentration of CBD in milligrams (mg). This information helps you measure the potency of the product and decide whether it aligns with your skincare needs.
CBD face creams often feature a blend of other beneficial ingredients—such as hyaluronic acid, vitamins, and plant extracts. Comprehending these additional components can help you select a product that handles your detailed concerns.
Reputable CBD brands always conduct third-party lab testing to verify the accuracy of their product labels and ensure product quality and purity. In all cases, you should ensure the company provides Certificates of Analysis (CoAs) to verify a product’s quality.
CBD Face Creams and Skincare Routine Tips
If you’re looking to incorporate CBD face creams into your skincare routine, you must know how to incorporate them into morning and evening routines. Here are some crucial tips:
– Cleansing: Begin your routine by cleansing your face with a gentle cleanser suited for your skin type. This helps remove dirt, oil, and makeup, preparing your skin for the subsequent steps.
– Toning: Apply a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels and prepare it for better absorption of products. Opt for an alcohol-free toner to avoid stripping your skin of moisture.
– Serum: If you use serums, apply them before your CBD face cream. Serums are lightweight and contain potent ingredients that address specific concerns like hydration, brightening, or anti-ageing.
– CBD Face Cream Application: Take a pea-sized amount of your chosen CBD face cream and warm it between your fingers. Gently massage the cream onto your face using upward motions. Pay extra attention to areas prone to dryness or concern.
– Eye Cream: If you use an eye cream, apply it after the CBD face cream. Use your ring finger to gently tap the cream around your eye area to avoid tugging on delicate skin.
In addition, if you’re battling any skin conditions, you should follow these crucial tips:
– Acne-Prone Skin: If you have acne-prone skin, choose a CBD face cream with anti-inflammatory properties to help soothe redness and irritation.
– Dry Skin: Opt for a CBD face cream with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid to provide your skin with an extra boost of moisture.
– Ageing Skin: Look for CBD face creams rich in antioxidants to combat free radicals and support your skin’s natural collagen production.
– Sensitive Skin: Always do a patch test before applying the CBD face cream to your face. Choose a CBD face cream with minimal added fragrances and potential irritants.
If you’re seeking to improve your overall skin complexion, trying CBD face creams could be an excellent option. There are many possible advantages to using CBD face creams, including anti-inflammatory properties.
However, you should always ensure the products meet the regulations in the United Kingdom and start with small doses and work up. The market for CBD is rapidly growing in the UK, so there’s never been a better time to buy CBD face creams.
1. Makhakhe, L. (n.d.). Topical cannabidiol (CBD) in skin pathology – A comprehensive review and prospects for new therapeutic opportunities. NCBI. Retrieved August 24, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9210160/
2. A therapeutic effect of CBD-enriched ointment in inflammatory skin diseases and cutaneous scars Clinical trial. (n.d.). La Clinica Terapeutica. Retrieved August 24, 2023, from http://www.clinicaterapeutica.it/2019/170/2/05_PALMIERI-VADALA.pdf
3. Cannabidiol Adverse Effects and Toxicity – PMC. (n.d.). NCBI. Retrieved August 24, 2023, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7052834/